Friday, July 25, 2014

LBC: Three things I could never see myself wearing

Yay! My first Lolita Blog Carnival! I've been excited to join in this awesome little blogging challenge for awhile now, and this seemed like a fun topic to kick start off with. So, without further ado, this week's topic was simply 3 things I could never see myself wearing. This was actually a bit more difficult to think about than I had anticipated! I find I'm willing to give things a chance at least once, but after some thought I was able to come up with my three top choices.


 OTT Sweet
I had a stint with sweet for a very short period of my Lolita career and all it left me with was a Unico and Bloomland skirt and the resolution to never wear it again. Sweet is extremely cute and I fully understand the appeal of its aesthetics. But actually wearing all that sugary pink and plastic jewelry is another beast entirely. My venture into sweet style had in fact been very toned down and not in the least bit OTT, but it was enough to make me realize that I simply do not feel comfortable in so many extra frills. I leave it as pretty to look at, not to wear.


Enormous wigs
I suppose this ties in a bit with my first point of OTT sweet as these extravagant wigs tend to be seen most in that style. Still, they can be found in other styles as well so I decided to give them their own category. For the longest time I didn't care for wigs of any sort at all as I never saw the point in them if the wearer has perfectly healthy hair of their own (for individuals who don't have hair or has hair problems this is a completely different matter however). But over the years I've slowly warmed up to the more relaxed looking wigs that still look fairly natural, and I think if they are of good quality and compliment the coord they can be a very pretty accent to an outfit. But the multi-colored, huge, ten mile high wigs with more hair than would ever be possible on a human head are just a no go for me.


 Themed coords
Something not inherently linked to sweet this time, but I don't see myself ever wearing any costume type of coord. It's not that I think they look bad, quite the contrary, I've actually seen some very beautiful outfits that were based off a fictional character's clothing. But even so, for me I feel this pushes too far into the costume category and these types of outfits can only be worn on special occasions, whereas I generally like to wear my Lolita on a more daily basis (when possible). That's not to say I don't appreciate bringing in elements from outside sources that I might like if it so happens to match my coord, but if the entire outfit is intended to look like someone else, that's where I draw the line.

All in all, I try not to close myself off too much for trying new things. For the longest time I thought I would never even want to wear anything other than solid black! But after a lot of trial and error I have a pretty good idea of what I do and don't feel comfortable wearing and what fits my own lifestyle.

So thanks for reading my first Lolita Blog Carnival post! I'm very excited to continue with these prompts, so if you enjoyed please leave a comment! Below you'll find the links to other Lolitas blogging on this topic and if you're interested in joining I highly encourage you to check out their page on Facebook.



Fellow LBC Articles:

1 comment:

  1. I really have to agree with everything here. I'm not huge into OTT or wigs in general.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...